(Excerpts from the Huntingdon, Pa., “Daily News,” via the East Broad Top‘s Facebook page)
Stanley G. Hall, 69, of Hall Road, Three Springs, died at 3:15 p.m. Thursday, January 26, 2012, at his home.
As a child, Mr. Hall lived on a farm beside the East Broad Top Railroad, and he liked to tell the story of how his father refused to believe a newspaper report that the coal-hauling line’s imminent closing in early 1956. When the EBT reopened, in 1960, Mr. Hall was hired as a painter just three days after graduating from high school, and he worked there for the next 50 years.
He was fond of saying that he had done every imaginable job on the historic railroad—from “swamping the commodes” to maintaining and running steam engines, planning major events, negotiating with federal railroad authorities, overseeing preservation of the machine-shop complex, and greeting visitors of all ages. He was the railroad’s general manager from 1987 to 2010, and until recently he continued managing local properties for the line’s owners, Joe and Judy Kovalchick.
IMr. Hall was honored at the Governor’s Residence in Harrisburg in June 2010 with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Keystone Society for Tourism, which celebrates “outstanding contributions to tourism in Pennsylvania.”
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, February 4, at the Sugar Run Church of the Brethren, 17193 Hill Valley Road, Shirleysburg, with the Rev. James Hullihen officiating. Friends may call at the church one hour prior to the service.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Home Nursing Agency, Hospice, 9492 William Penn Highway, Suite 1, Huntingdon, Pa., 16652.